adventures in everything...

It’s been a long time coming…

15 Apr 12

Finally, after a good year or so, I’ve finished my jumper!  Many thought it would never happen. Even I thought it would never happen.

In September last year I posted on my blog after sewing in roughly 6 million ends, and after leaving it in my knitting basket for 7 months I figured maybe I should finish it off.

It wasn’t a big job (it’s taken me maybe an hour all in) but the longer I put it off the longer I could avoid discovering that it didn’t fit… as it turns out, IT DOES! It could do with being a little longer in the torso but nothing a vest top underneath can’t fix.

The seams actually sewed together a lot neater than I thought they would, the raglan arms were created by binding off stitches at the beginning of each row which created a stepped edge, and I wasn’t sure how nicely the pieces would fit together so I’d considered just decreasing the rows next time, but I guess it’s best to stick to the pattern.

So the next project I’m looking at is the Beekeeper Quilt. If you’re even the tiniest bit interested in knitting you’ll have heard all about Hexipuffs and how addictive they are, so a couple of months ago I finally gave in and bought the pattern.  It’s going to be massively time consuming so it’ll probably continue to run alongside other stuff too (like the Emily Peacock Cushions I’m working on – nearly finished the first one! Hurrah!) but I can’t wait!

I’m baaaaack…

06 Apr 12

Well, I finally did it… I sorted out my website and updated my blog! It only took me, erm, 4 months… hurrah!

There’s still a few tweaks to do on the site but it’s close enough for now so you’ll just have to make do…

So, what have you missed the last few months?… I moved into a new flat in Mornington Crescent, made my first ever Christmas Cake, had a very crafty Christmas making as many presents as I could, attempted to do a doodle a day (it lasted about 20 days), became slightly obsessed with Instagram, went on a giant egg hunt around London, baked (a lot), worked on some wedding invites for Charlie Sews Stuff, turned 27, went to Cardiff for Doctor Who Conference and most exciting of all… got myself a shiney new job at Mind Candy! Good times all round!

Aaaanyway, I thought I’d better post something vaguely interesting in the hope you all might keep coming back to visit, so I thought I’d share one of the Christmas presents I made this year (well, I say Christmas present but the poor recipient didn’t get it until mid March…)

My good friend Meg is, like myself, a bit of a Doctor Who fan, so when we agreed to make each other Christmas presents it was always going to be Who-themed.

I hadn’t made anything with felt before and decided to give it a go. I wanted to make something practical (an iPhone or iPad cover) but that went out of the window in favour of a felt TARDIS and Matt Smith (Meg is yet to realise that David Tennant is a far superior Doctor)

I didn’t want to push my luck by attempting to make anything 3D so I kept it all pretty simple…

First I drew up my cartoony Matt Smith, making sure I drew all the layers I’d need to cut out. I then used that drawing as a template and traced all the individual pieces I needed onto tracing paper. I roughly cut around each shape, pinned the paper to the felt (or for smaller pieces just held it in place, being careful not to let it budge) and cut along the pencil lines though the paper and felt.

The next stage was to put all the pieces together to work out what order they all needed to be sewn together, I jotted down some rough notes to avoid any silly mistakes halfway through!

I was pretty pants at taking photos of the process, but the next stage was fairly straight forward… sewing it all together! I used a bit of wadding to pad Matt out a little as I went, it also made him a bit sturdier, and I tried to match the thread colour to the felt where possible…

The TARDIS was made in the same way; drawing it up, tracing out the indivdual pieces and then sewing it altogether, but then I had to do all the embroidery for the door panel and sign above the door, this probably took longer than the rest put together as there was a lot of unpicking and re-sewing! There was also a ribbon sewn into one of the side seams with a loop on the end which allowed Matt to be attached to the TARDIS via a small button hidden underneath the back his jacket…

So, that’s about it… Matt went down with his new owner very well (despite the fact he was so delayed) and he even tagged along to the convention with us (photos on my twitter account)…

Well, that’s the first one done, here’s hoping I manage to keep on top of updating the blog this time around!