adventures in everything...

Finishing the mould…

22 Mar 10
It’s taken me a while to get round to updating this! The next stage with the Alice mould was to start adding the second half of the silicone. First I painted the top of the first half of the mould with a solution of melted vaseline and white spirit, so that the two halves wouldn’t bond together…

I then added Silicone to the mould bit by bit until the feet were completely covered too…
Once the silicone had completely set I removed the cardboard box by cutting the sides with a craft knife. The silicone came away from the sides of the box really easily thanks to the layer of parcel tape…
The vaseline and white spirit solution had worked an absolute treat! So i’ll be recommending it to everyone! There were a few bits where i’d dripped silicone on the side of the box so the second layer had bonded to it (the mould in the photo below is upside down) but these were easily cut with a craft knife…
The mould opened really easily with little Alice in tact and a really clean impression of her. The pencil holes to act as pegs also worked really well…

The model pulled out really easily, and as the plasticine had dried out and hardened there was none to clean out of the mould. There were a few bubble in the bottom half of the mould, but these are very small and will be filled when painted with vaseline ready to cast the silicone body…